Sunday, June 9, 2013

Firefly Hunting

My son decided he wanted to go catch some fireflies tonight.  That was cool.  I am all about that.  So I send him outside with a mason jar with promises to be out there in just a few.  He came in with his first firefly in his jar, beaming with pride and joy.  I even took a picture for he wanted me to savor the moment forever. 


Now, at this time he is very anxious for me to come out there.  

Let me stop there.

If you know my son, you would know he is such a sweet heart.  He has a big heart and has respect for all things living.  His biggest worry throughout this whole firefly catching escapade was he was going to misplace them from their families when he caught them.  I had to reassure him he was not misplacing them and everything was going to be OK so long as he did not keep them in the jar too long.  

So off we go together, to catch fireflies.  Mommy and son.  

Life is grand.
He hands me the mason jar, with full trust that I will do this firefly catching thing right.  After all, I have told him all I know, now it's time to show him. 

He had 3 in the jar already and he wanted a few more .  I walked out to the yard, full of confidence, with plans to fill the jar with the most fireflies this kid has ever seen.

 I spot one and I go in for it... BOOM I get him. 

YES!  I haven't caught a firefly in years.  I feel... 

VICTORIOUS!

Give me a mason jar and some fireflies and it's on like bing bong. 

I go to show my son my PROUD firefly and as I look I notice something is not right. 

SHIT, I caught the firefly in the lid and the damn thing is not moving.   

ooops. 

I have killed the effing firefly.   

My victorious balloon has been popped. 

I immediately envision my son pointing at the jar with his jaw dropped and tears streaming down his face screaming "YOU KILLED IT!" I know if he sees this I will be labeled a firefly murderer and from this day forward when he sees a firefly he will see my face with devil horns.  

I have to do something QUICK. 

So here is what I come up with, "OH NO!  We have to release them quickly!  They are going to die!" So off comes the lid and I'm flicking the dead one out of the way as fast as I can.   

He comes running over screaming, "WAITTTTTTTTT!" 

OOOOPS, sorry buddy, but I had to get them out quick I think I saw one gasping for air. 

"Gasping for air?" he asked?  "Mommy, you saved the fireflies!"

Yes, yes I did. 

I effing rock as a mommy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment